Touch typing update - one year after
It’s been a year now since I switched to the Dvorak keyboard layout and learned to touch-type, so it seemed like a good time to assess progress so far.
I now consistently type between 60 and 70 WPM, depending on the day and the text I need to type. I’m reasonably happy with this, but when I originally switched, I was hoping that I would get up to 80-90WPM within a year. Also, I can’t really touch-type numbers, and I usually need to look at the keyboard to type some of the non alpha-numerical numbers that get used often when developing (e.g. ‘[', ']‘, ‘$’, ‘^’ etc.). Finally, typing still hasn’t really become as automatic as I’d hoped it would; to achieve high speeds, I still need to concentrate on typing, whereas I was hoping that I would have interned the typing to an extent that I didn’t really need to think about it anymore.
So, I think I’m going to start practicing again (in fact, I already started a little over Xmas). I’m kind of hoping to have resolved all of the above by June this year, so that I can finally stop thinking about typing